Cabaret mainstay Jeff Harnar's new album exploring the songbook of Broadway and jazz songwriter Cy Coleman is due to drop September 8 from PS Classics. Get a first listen of Harnar's take on "With Every Breath I Take" from Coleman's City of Angels below.
A Collective Cy: Jeff Harnar Sings Cy Coleman is adapted from Harnar's stage show of the same name, created in collaboration with music director Alex Rybeck, who leads a full orchestra on the new release. The album is available for pre-order here.
Harnar is joined by special guests for select tracks, with a roster including Ann Hampton Callaway, Liz Callaway, Nicolas King, Danny Bacher, and Sean Harkness. The release also features liner notes from David Zippel, who collaborated with Coleman as the lyricist on the Broadway musical City of Angels.
Listen to "With Every Breath I Take":
Harnar is also embarking on a concert tour to coincide with the album's release, which includes dates in Carmel, Indiana; St. Louis, Missouri; Chicaco, Illinois; London, England; and New York, New York throughout September and October. He will play New York City's Birdland Jazz Club October 2, with those tickets available here. Visit JeffHarnar.com for a full schedule.
Take a look at the full track listing for A Collective Cy: Jeff Harnar Sings Cy Coleman below:
1. "You Fascinate Me So" (lyric by Carolyn Leigh)
2. "My Personal Property" (lyric by Dorothy Fields, from the Sweet Charity film) / "My City" (lyric by Dorothy Fields, from Seesaw)
3. "It Amazes Me" (featuring Sean Harkness on guitar, lyric by Carolyn Leigh)
4. "I’ve Got Your Number" (featuring Ann Hampton Callaway, lyric by Carolyn Leigh, from Little Me)
5. "With Every Breath I Take" (lyric by David Zippel, from City of Angels)
6. "Rhythm of Life" (featuring Nicolas King and Danny Bacher, lyric by Dorothy Fields, from Sweet Charity)
7. "The Best Is Yet to Come" (lyric by Carolyn Leigh)
8. "(Doop Doo-De-Oop) A Doodlin’ Song" (featuring Jay Leonhart and Alex Rybeck, lyric by Carolyn Leigh)
9. "Some Kind of Music" (lyric by Carolyn Leigh)
10. "So Little Time" (lyric by Michael Stewart, cut from Barnum)
11. "Our Private World" (featuring Liz Callaway, lyric by Betty Comden & Adolph Green, from On the Twentieth Century)
12. "Witchcraft" (lyric by Carolyn Leigh)
13. "The Rules of the Road" (lyric by Carolyn Leigh) / "Come Summer" (lyric by Carolyn Leigh) / "I’m Way Ahead" (lyric by Dorothy Fields, from Seesaw)
14. "If My Friends Could See Me Now" (lyric by Dorothy Fields, from Sweet Charity)