Broadway Grosses Analysis: Hell's Kitchen Joins the Top 5 Top Grossers | Playbill

Grosses Broadway Grosses Analysis: Hell's Kitchen Joins the Top 5 Top Grossers

The Alicia Keys musical is nominated for Best Musical at the 2024 Tony Awards.

Graphic by Vi Dang

Hell's Kitchen's box-office ascent is continuing its upward trajectory. The Alicia Keys musical, currently a 2024 Tony Award nominee for Best Musical, has been on a steady rise, again seeing the highest-grossing week of its run last week. In fact, the rise has been enough that the musical made its debut in the top five highest grossers, bested only by top five mainstays The Lion KingWickedHamilton, and Cabaret.

Now, that being said, the musical likely was able to achieve that because of a lower-than-normal total from Merrily We Roll Along, which was down its A-list star Daniel Radcliffe for many of its performances last week. The musical has been hovering around Hell's Kitchen's most recent total, about $1.5 million, so it's difficult to say who would have won that fifth spot had Merrily been commanding its usual top-tier ticket price.

Overall, grosses fell by almost 5% over the 35 currently-running shows, with a total gross of $33.7 million (down from last week's $35.3). Seats were slightly less full as well, with shows playing to 86%-full houses, down from last week's 91%. Family shows continue to dominate the most attended, with WickedThe Lion KingAladdinThe Wiz, and newcomer Hell's Kitchen seeing the most theatregoers last week.

It feels a bit as if Broadway is holding its breath awaiting winners of this year's Tony Awards, which won't be revealed until June 16, just under two weeks from now. Will Hell's Kitchen's box-office rise make it the front runner to take the much coveted Best Musical award? Only time will tell.

Take a look at the full report here.

The $1 Million Club (shows that earned $1 million or more at the box office):

(13 of 35 currently running productions)

The 90s Club (shows that played to 90% or higher of their seats filled over the entire week):

(17 of 35 currently running productions)

Today’s Most Popular News:

Blocking belongs
on the stage,
not on websites.

Our website is made possible by
displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by
whitelisting with your ad blocker.
Thank you!