One of the highlights of this weekend's Curtain Up Festival was the return of ¡Viva! Broadway, a concert featuring some of Broadway's brightest Latine stars. The special concert, subtitled Aquí y Allá (Here and There), was held September 9 on the Curtain Up MainStage in Duffy Square. The three-day festival celebrated all things Broadway with sing-alongs, performances from your favorite Broadway stars, and more. Playbill, The Broadway League, and the Times Square Alliance have brought the outdoor experience back for a third year, presented by Prudential Financial with additional support from the NYC Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment, Music Performance Trust Fund, The Film Fund, Open Jar Studios, and Hotel Edison.
¡Viva! Broadway, Aquí y Allá (Here and There) was conceived and directed by Luis Salgado, and celebrates musical theatre history—from the inspiration of early songwriters to the authentic voices and stories of Broadway today. It featured musical direction by Jaime Lozano and a script by Eric Ulloa.
Check out the set list below:
- "So In Love" from Kiss Me, Kate, performed by Martin Solá
- "Cuando Salí de Cuba," performed by Mario Tadeo
- "Havana," performed by the ¡Viva! Broadway dancers Angelica Beliard, Adriel Flete, Megan Elyse Fulmer, Christian Galvis, Henry Gendron, Anna Guerra, Yani Marin, Jenny Mollet, and Ralphie Rivera
- "Beyond," performed by the ¡Viva! Broadway ensemble Maleah Barrera, Florencia Cuenca, Henry Gainza, Mario Tadeo, and Pablo Torres
- "I Miss the Mountains" from Next to Normal, performed by Andréa Burns
- "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot, performed by Matias De La Flor
- "I Know I Have a Heart (Because You Broke It)" from Bad Cinderella, performed by Linedy Genao
- "America" from West Side Story, featuring the ¡Viva! Broadway dancers
- "Piragua" from In the Heights, featuring Henry Gainza and the R.Evolución Latina students
- "Satin Summer Nights" from Songs from the Capeman, performed by the ¡Viva! Broadway ensemble
- "Paciencia y Fe" from In the Heights, performed by Tami Dahbura
- The intro from Company, performed by the ¡Viva! Broadway ensemble
- "Being Alive" from Company, performed by Javier Ignacio
- "Mi Tierra" from On Your Feet!, performed by Angel Sigala
- "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha, performed by the ¡Viva! Broadway ensemble
Band members included Lozano, Alejandro Berti, Jonathan Gomez, associate music director Daniel Gutierrez, Alex Hamlin, Yahir Montes, Hugo Moreno, Victor Pablo, Ruben Rodriguez, and Alberto Toro. See photos from the event below.